By Nikki Rizzardini
Happy New Year District 5110 Rotarians! Your District Environment Committee wishes you a beautiful year ahead, and encourages you to consider how you can make the world more beautiful. Here is a list of 10 things we can do for the Environment:
1. Join ESRAG – Environmental Sustainability Rotary Action Group – and increase your network by joining this very active and rapidly growing group of Rotarians! (non-Rotarians can join, too!) esrag.org
2. Calculate your Carbon Footprint and seek to decrease it https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/carbon-footprint-alculator/ https://www.carbonfootprint.com/
3. Install solar panels on your roof and electrify your utilities. Opt into your power company green electrical sources https://energytrust.org/incentives/solar-for-your-home/
4. Choose nontoxic chemicals for your home and office needs.
5. Conserve Water.
6. Improve your home insulation and adjust your HVAC thermostat and water heater.
7. Plant trees, minimize your lawn, and increase native vegetation.
8. Buy local, eat local, and compost.
9. Practice the 5 R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose/repair, Recycle – and make sure you’re recycling according to your waste service provider. Wishful recycling can contaminate the system.
10. “Adopt one Block” https://www.adoptoneblock.org/
Interested in more information or ideas? Contact your District Environment Committee! Our next meeting will be Wednesday January 26 at 6pm via Zoom with a special guest presenting on how to start a pollinator garden. Contact Nikki Rizzardini at email@example.com Next week’s e-news will include a list of 10 things clubs can do for the Environment.