District 5110 has sent an outbound team – comprised of one (1) team leader and four (4) team members – departing February 12, 2018 to District 4250 in Guatemala, returning to Oregon on March 6, 2018.
District 4250 is comprised of Rotary Clubs in both Guatemala and Honduras, although this trip will not visit the latter. The team can expect a vocational day in each city visited, with many cultural and historical sites/visits interspersed. A tentative schedule includes travel to Guatemala City, the Rio Dulce, Flores and the Tikal Ruins, Coban, Atitlan, Quetzaltenango, IRTRA, Retalhuleu, Abaj Takalik, Finca Café y Hule, and Coatepeque. The trip will culminate in La Antigua, Guatemala, shortly after the District ConferenceMarch 1–3, 2018.
The Group Study Exchange (GSE) program is a unique cultural and vocational exchange opportunity for men and women in their initial years of professional life. GSE participants follow an extensive and rigorous program of international travel and team activities that allow participants to fully immerse in local culture. Launched in 1965, this dynamic program has built a successful track record at the personal, community, and international level. With good planning, a goal-driven itinerary, and active participation of dedicated Rotarians, a Group Study Exchange can be an exceptional educational experience for both the visiting GSE team and Rotarians in the host country.
The program focuses on two main elements:
• Opportunity for team members to observe vocations as practices in another country
• Ability to ask questions, share ideas, and develop professionally
• Participants study another country, its people, language, and institutions through experiences in an organized and safe program
• Develop appreciation for diversity worldwide
• Meet and communicate with at least five host families, and live with each other in the spirit of friendship and goodwill
Team MEMBER Requirements
• Be currently employed for at least two years in any recognized business or profession on a full time basis
• Be 23 to 40 years of age
• Must work or live in Rotary District 5110
• Must be a citizen of the US
• Language training recommended, but not required
• Can be either Rotarian or non-Rotarian
Team LEADER Requirements
• Fluent in Spanish
• Active Rotarian in one of District’s 5110’s amazing clubs
• Good physical health
• International travel experience
• Well organized and ability to be flexible if changes arise
• No age requirement
District 5110 does an amazing job of providing for our GSE program. This is a priceless experience for the GSE Teams. For each team member, District 5110 provides the most economical round-trip ticket between the home and host country, while generous local Rotarians in the host area provide meals, lodging, entrance fees, and group travel in their district. Team members are responsible for all personal and incidental expenses incurred before (including gas to team meetings, purchase of host family gifts), during (souvenirs), and after the study tour.
For questions regarding GSE, contact GSE Chair Rae LaMarche